Reflecting understand negotiate INNOVATE NAVIGATE

Thursday, December 2, 2010

Taking Responsibility for My Robbery

Philly to many represents love and friendship.  The city is historically significant and signifies independence for America and the rest of the world, as she is the birthplace of the first amendment. That's why when visiting this great city and overhearing a protest brewing through Love Park and the heart of Philly, I wanted to check out what the commotion was all about.

The Objective Reporter
It's important to mention that when filming an event, I am simply just that--observing the facts and giving the people who are passionate about something a chance to voice their concerns.

Normally, with video, I don't discriminate against the message and don't editorialize the news.  If the event is interesting, unique, content appropriate and has has presumed qualitative value for others, I am apt to turn on my camera and record.

Only while blogging, do I occasionally provide my point of view, summary or commentary, in which I am doing now.





Stimulating the Economy
The group of vocal but well behaved protestors were fired up about the Federal Reserve especially with the latest round of Qualitative Easing.  Two weeks ago, the Fed, in an effort to stimulate the economy, decided to purchase $600 billion of government bonds which they hoped would drive down interest rates.  In order to do this, the Fed would have to print new money.

Unfortunately, the world markets reacted negatively.  The Bond markets sold off drastically, driving up interest rates.

Ironically, the Fed protest occurred while Macy was kicking off its holiday Christmas season.

Make a Wish
The featured guest at the Macy's event was Santa Claus, the Phillie Phanatic, Teen pop-singer Josh Golden and loads and loads of happy, jumping children who at this time, likely wished the Fed would continue printing money to bring more Christmas sales.  Noticing this interesting irony, I once again, whipped out my video camera and started filming the dual events as they peacefully crossed each other's paths.

While I was climbing up a huge flowering pot to get a better vantage point, some cunning thief reached up and behind me and stole my wallet.  In a flash of a moment,  I noticed something missing and by the time I found out, the "Christmas" crook had already made it pass the crowd, $200 richer and my credit card and ID to his name.  Against my inner wishes, I had dramatically just stimulated the local black market economy.

Marathon Madness
The very next day, after the Marathon, I was both tired and thirsty and wanted to get something warm to eat.

My Dahon foldable bike, was a life saver this weekend as it took me all around Philly and got me to the race quickly and effortlessly.

I rode my bike to the the vibrant and visible Redding Terminal Market. Located adjacent to Chinatown and the Convention Center, this was a very popular hangout for locals and tourists with a craving for local culinary or dishes of the world.  The food was spectacular, fast, and wasn't cheap.  I was gone for less than an hour, enjoying delicious BBQ chicken and a cool, refreshing Sam Adams.  Feeling good and full, I was aghast to find my beloved foldable bike missing.

What Are the Chances:

Some thief had the nerve to cut my bike cable and lift my bike in front of thousands of pedestrians and passerbys both on car and on foot.  I was stunned.  A stunt like this would seem unlikely in DC and it was the same bike and lock which I had used numerous times all around NYC with no incident.

That is strange.  Two thefts in one weekend, a first for me, and I hadn't made it home yet.

Applying "RUNIN"

As a responsible person, I wasn't upset with myself.  I wasn't careless.  I felt that I had taken all the necessary reasonable precautions during my planning and preparations.  Instead, I wanted to try to learn and understand how this could have happened and what I needed to do to prevent an incident like this from happening again.

Now, rest assured if a similar situation happens again, I would be less forgiving of myself.  We must be responsible people to also ensure we don't get bitten twice.

That is why I blog about my incidents, my mistakes, my drama.  It isn't to gain sympathy or to create a fodder for discussion.  It is to share my mishaps and to try to understand it as much as I can so that something like this can be averted in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment